Thursday, July 15, 2010

Red Silk?

Is this normal? As much as I know about gardening, I know way less about growing corn. Overall my two corn varieties appear to be doing well, and started to get tassels, especially the Brocade Sweet Corn. I noticed the first silks starting to appear last Sunday, but then on Tuesday, the were all red! I had assumed that they would stay white/yellow, as you find them on the ears of corn in the grocery store!



The male tassels have red pollen, so does this mean that the silks have gotten pollinated? I hope so!

2 comments:

keen101 said...

Hey, what variety of corn had the pink silks? It's a genetic trait that i'm looking for.

Thanks!

email me: keen101 [at] gmail [dot] com.

alizardinthegarden said...

The corn variety was a Brocade sweet corn variety that I ordered from Seeds of Change.