Everything looked pretty dreary but, I set off to buy some compost and start on my tasks.
I decided to try a new method of sectioning off each square foot. Instead of the lath boards (which I used for my first two seasons, and is suggested in the SFG book) I wanted to try string for the following reasons:
- The condition of my two-season boards was pretty poor, so I didn't think they were worth moving (I gave them to a fellow gardener to use).
- Each lath boards was an inch wide, so they made the planting area within each square foot smaller (every inch counts!)
- When moving/adding soil it was sometimes challenging to spread it out between the squares.
It was pretty time consuming and I had a minor setback when I broke my itsy-bitsy drill bit that I was using to start the 12 holes for the screw eyes, but...
Ta da! My backyard garden set up is complete and ready to go.