Sunday, August 29, 2010

Clean Garlic

I am back...and I finally got around to cleaning my cured garlic!! I harvested it back in mid-July, so it had been curing for a good month! Since I used some of the garlic heads/cloves immediately, I now have 11 nice looking heads for storage, which I hope will keep into the winter.


Organic German White Garlic, hardneck

A while back I saw this article on thekitchn.com about onion storage and vegetable keepers. I thought these three bags were great, as I was trying to think about what I would do with all the garlic and potatoes I was going to get from my garden! However, time passed and they stayed on my "wish list." Fast forward a few weeks when I had to go to Crate & Barrel to get a wedding shower gift for a friend. I was just going to get her the kitchen composter that she registered for but next to the composter on display were...the storage bags! I had forgotten that Crate & Barrel carried the garlic & potato bags! So, I decided to get one of each for the bride-to-be...and one of each for me!!


my new storage bags!


cute images on the bags

2 comments:

thyme2garden said...

Those bags look really cute, not to mention functional. Nice find!

alizardinthegarden said...

An update on how these bags are working: as much as I love them, they did not prevent my home-grown potatoes from sprouting. I think it is due to the fact that the top, white fabric is too light (in color) which allows light to penetrate into the bag. I hung them at the top of my basement stairs, which in theory would be pretty dark. I would still love to keep using them, but may modify the top with cardboard/dark fabric to see if that helps. I did not seem to have as many issues with onions/garlic.